Looks like as of today, May 16 Italy is open for normal travelers. No essential reason needed. There are rules still in place that everyone should know about.
- If you fly one of the “Covid-tested” flights which require testing before and after your flight you do not have to quarantine upon arrival in Italy. Right now Delta is the airline with the most “Covid-tested” flights. From JFK to Rome or Milan. And from Atlanta to Rome. AlItalia has a daily JFK to Rome flight.
- If you don’t fly a “Covid-tested” flight you will have to quarantine for 10 days and test again. Any non-direct flight not mentioned above is not a “Covid-tested” flight and quarantine rules apply.
- Italy has restrictions which all tourists will have to abide by just as residents do.
- As of this writing, most of the country is a Yellow Zone. Except Val d’Osta which is Orange. Yellow zone rules are:
- Masks mandatory inside and out unless exercising alone.
- Curfew from 10PM to 5 AM.
- Restaurants open for lunch and dinner outside only.
- Museums are only at 50% capacity and tickets are mandatory. Tickets must be purchased at least one day ahead for weekends.
- Theaters and event spaces have seating limitations.
- Orange Zone. Same as yellow, plus:
- No travel into or out of an Orange zone from any other zone.
- Shops closed.
- Museums closed.
- Restaurants are take out only.
One thing to keep in mind. The zones are fluid. The color-coded system means there’s no guarantee that if you book to visit a yellow zone, it’ll be yellow by the time you get there—just look at Sardinia which went from a White Zone (totally open) to a Red Zone (totally closed) in just three weeks.
Buona domenica a tutti!
It’s mind boggling the price the human race has paid due to this virus. Tiny little thing. Wow. I worry about opening up because so few are vaccinated here. But we shall see how it goes. I know many of my friends have homes here and have been shut out. I’m happy they can return.
We are getting there… slowly but surely! My fingers and toes are crossed for Italia ( and India, Brazil… etc! ) Ci vediamo subito. Speriamo😊
Good for the travelers…not so good for the unvaccinated Italians I fear.
Thank you for this great news, God knows we can all use it!! Best wishes to you and Luther….